Sweet Corn Festival – Heritage Village

In 1996, when the Millersport Lions Club celebrated its 50th anniversary, they decided to take on the project of saving local landmarks, moving them to Historic Lions Park, restore the buildings and opening them to public use. The ongoing preservation project has become known as Heritage Village. Open to the public during Festival Week and for tour groups during the rest of the season by contacting Deb Gant at #740-739-2477 or e-mail: pgant1@roadrunner.com

Sweet Corn Festival Heritage Village

Walnut Township Hall

craft bulletDonated by the Walnut Township Trustees in 1998.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater and the Stebelton & Ruble Steel Co.

craft bulletThis building was built between 1900 and 1910 and originally stood on a lot on Third Street in the Village of Thurston between the Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad tracks and High Street.

craft bulletThis building was built with a set of double doors on the front because it housed a fire wagon when it was used as a firehouse. This structure has served the citizens of Walnut Township well as a voting precinct, township meeting hall, and as a town hall for the Village of Thurston.
craft bulletThe contents are original to the building.

Slater Filling Station

craft bulletDonated by the Charles & Ethel Slater Family.

craft bulletMoved from site north of State Route 79 on State Route 37 at the Slater Homestead in 1997 after being hit and flatten by a semi truck.

craft bulletMoved in sections and reassembled on this site.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater and the Stebelton & Ruble Steel Co.

craft bulletThe contents are original to the building.

Spurgeon Ino Store

craft bulletDonated by Dr. Paul & Anna Whetstone & Dr. Jim & Julie Whetstone.

craft bulletMoved from site just west of Commodore Bank on Refugee in 1999.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater and the Stebelton & Ruble Steel Co.

craft bulletBuilt in 1870 on the site of the present Citgo Gas Station in Millersport.

craft bulletThe Spurgeon Family operated it as a dry goods store.

Watson Oil Building

craft bulletDonated by the Paul and Peg Watson Family of Millersport.

craft bulletFormer office of the Watson Oil Company and local Pure Oil distributor.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater to present site in 2001.

Canal Lock Stones

craft bulletStones were from the Minthorn Tavern Lock of the Ohio-Erie Canal.

Brison Farm Summer House

craft bulletDonated by Jim & Karen Turner of Millersport.

craft bulletBuilt about 1883 and was attached to the Bryson Farmhouse on SR 204.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater to present site in 2003.

Old Post Office

craft bulletDonated by Jeff & Jackie Watson of Millersport.

craft bulletBuilt in the 1800s and was located at village’s main intersection.

craft bulletServed for many years as the U.S. Post Office in Millersport.

craft bulletMoved by Robert & Bob Slater in 2004.

WALKING TOUR OF HISTORIC SITES AT THE PARK

Charles Holiday Covered Bridge

craft bulletDonated by the Fairfield County Commissioners.

craft bulletBuilt in 1879 by J. W. Buchanan (served under General W. T. Sherman)

craft bulletUse to span Walnut Creek on Lake Road 3 miles south of here.

craft bulletNamed after nearby landowner and farmer Charles Holliday.

craft bulletMoved to present site in 1981 in one piece by Ray Oldham of Columbus.

Sweet Corn Festival Heritage Village

Antique Corn Husker

craft bulletManufactured in 1948. One of only two left still running in the nation.

craft bulletPurchased in 1963 from a closed canning factory in Circleville.

craft bulletThe present building is the third to be built over the corn husker.

craft bulletAnnually husks 100,000 ears over a four-day period.

craft bulletStar Engineering of New Lexington rebuilt and restored the husker in 2012.

Sweet Corn Festival Heritage Village

King Lion (Festival Office)

craft bulletDisplayed at the 1940 National Amusement Park Convention in Chicago.

craft bulletPurchased by the Buckeye Lake Amusement Park and displayed there.

craft bulletDonated in 1962 by Edward & Nelle Schmidt of Hollywood Farms.

craft bulletGraced the Festival’s main stage from 1962 to 1988.

Founders Commons

craft bulletOriginal lots purchased on Chautauqua Blvd. in 1954 to be the future permanent site of the Sweet Corn Festival. A bronze marker honoring the founding members is located in the center of the commons.